The Center for International Social Science Research (CISSR) invites University of Chicago faculty to apply for book workshop and/or monograph enhancement awards to support scholarly manuscripts in preparation for publication. Read about our Book Workshop & Monograph Enhancement Awardees from previous years.
CISSR will continue to support completely virtual workshops and hybrid workshops if some invited guests prefer to stay on zoom.
- Book workshops provide faculty an opportunity to improve their manuscripts through an intensive day-long workshop in which colleagues, editors, and other key readers gather to provide critical input and suggestions.
- Monograph enhancement awards support scholarly book projects in myriad other ways. Awards are intended to offset the costs of obligatory press subsidies, open access subvention fees, translations, indexing, permissions, cartographic services, and other expenses that aid in the completion of highest quality manuscripts.
Applications for book workshop and monograph enhancement awards are accepted on a rolling basis. Decisions are usually made within 6 weeks of submission. CISSR typically funds 3-4 book workshops per year and is currently considering applications for workshops in the 2021-22
Eligibility & Evaluation
All University of Chicago faculty are eligible, provided their manuscripts 1) focus on international, transnational, or global issues and 2) use social scientific methods.
The CISSR Faculty Board evaluates proposals based on fit with CISSR priorities, the potential impact of the manuscript, scheduling considerations (in the case of workshops), and budgetary considerations (in the case of monograph enhancement). Priority is given to tenure-track, junior faculty members and to faculty who are active participants in the CISSR community.
Book Workshops: Funding covers the costs of a day-long workshop with up to four guest discussants. CISSR will offer logistical support to arrange travel and accommodations.*
- Applicants should also read the CISSR Book Workshop Guide
- CISSR provides logistical support for travel arrangements, a $500 honorarium per discussant, funding for a note-taker, and the full-use of the CISSR conference room for the workshop day
Select your preferred style – in-person, virtual, or hybrid
- Please provide the list of all those who you are inviting to be in attendance and include email address, job title and institution for all participants
- For hybrid workshops, specify which participants will be in-person and which will participate virtually
- Monograph Enhancement Awards: Typical requests fall within the range of $2,000 to $4,000 to support tasks like indexing, specialized typesetting, and subvention fees. In unusual cases, awards of $10,000 - $15,000 have been given in support of translation projects.
How to Apply
All applications should include:
Comprehensive budget including estimated travel expenses you want CISSR to cover as part of your award
For more information about CISSR and the Faculty Book Workshop and Monograph Enhancement Awards, please contact Center Supervisor, Alexis Puzon via email at email@example.com or by phone at (773) 702-7721.