The Center for International Social Science Research (CISSR) invites University of Chicago faculty to apply for book workshop and/or monograph enhancement awards to support scholarly manuscripts in preparation for publication.
*From UChicago Forward Travel Policy: “The University is continuing the suspension of University-sponsored international and domestic travel until further notice due to COVID-19. In addition, non-essential personal travel is strongly discouraged.”
Due to the above travel policy, CISSR will not be hosting or supporting in-person book workshops for the 20-21 academic year. We are, however, continuing to support faculty who plan to hold fully remote book workshops via Zoom. We look forward to updating and revising our procedures once travel restrictions are lifted.
- Book workshops provide faculty an opportunity to improve their manuscripts through an intensive day-long workshop in which colleagues, editors, and other key readers gather to provide critical input and suggestions.
- Monograph enhancement awards support scholarly book projects in myriad other ways. Awards are intended to offset the costs of obligatory press subsidies, open access subvention fees, translations, indexing, permissions, cartographic services, and other expenses that aid in the completion of highest quality manuscripts.
Applications for book workshop and monograph enhancement awards are accepted on a rolling basis. Decisions are usually made within 6 weeks of submission. CISSR typically funds 3-4 book workshops per year and is currently considering applications for workshops in the 2020-21 academic year and beyond. Monograph enhancement awards are funded as able.
Eligibility & Evaluation
All University of Chicago faculty are eligible, provided their manuscripts 1) focus on international, transnational, or global issues and 2) use social scientific methods.
The CISSR Faculty Board evaluates proposals based on fit with CISSR priorities, the potential impact of the manuscript, scheduling considerations (in the case of workshops), and budgetary considerations (in the case of monograph enhancement). Priority is given to tenure-track, junior faculty members and to faculty who are active participants in the CISSR community.
Book Workshops: Funding covers the costs of a day-long workshop with up to four guest discussants. CISSR will offer logistical support to arrange travel and accommodations.*
- Applicants are encouraged to invite press editors in addition to external faculty
- CISSR provides $500 per each honorarium
- Applicants should also read the CISSR Book Workshop Guide
- Monograph Enhancement: Award sizes vary; typical requests have been in the range of $2,000 - $4,000 to support tasks like indexing, specialized typesetting, subvention fees. In unusual cases, awards of $10,000 - $15,000 have been given in support of translation projects.
All applications should include:
Application form here
For more information about CISSR and the Faculty Book Workshop and Monograph Enhancement Awards, please contact Center Supervisor, Alexis Puzon via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (773) 702-7721.